- Education is one of the most powerful tools of human trafficking prevention.
- Education gives girls the power to delay marriage and reduce birth rate.
- Educated women have power to stand up against domestic violence.
- Each year of education raises a woman’s income by 10-20%. Women invest 90% of that income into their families. Men only invest 30-40%.
- Education saves lives.
- Every year, 60 million girls ages 6-11 are out of school.
- 38% of girls in developing countries are child brides. One in seven marries before age 15.
- 150 million girls experience sexual abuse each year.
- Just one additional year of education can reduce infant mortality by 5-10%. Educated mothers are 50% more likely to immunize their children than uneducated mothers.
- In India, 1.2. million children are prostitutes.
In the world’s poorest regions, girls are the most vulnerable.
Education empowers them to stand up to the biases of male-dominated societies and become confident, contributing members of their communities. Girls have incredible potential to make lasting change, if they are but given a chance.